Central Parkway Eye Care Center has been providing outstanding eye care to the residents of the Greater Essex County Community for over 50 years. The practice was started by Dr. Robert M. Cunningham Sr. in 1961 when he opened his first office in Newark, NJ. Dr. Cunningham Sr. was the first African-American Ophthalmologist in New Jersey and prided himself on superior patient care and kindness. We continue that focus today. Dr. Cunningham Sr. moved his practice to East Orange in 1973 when he partnered with a group of black physicians who built the “Blue Building” on 185 Central Avenue where our practice continues to reside.
His son, Robert D. Cunningham Jr., joined the practice in 1984 and has continued to serve the community as a recognized trendsetter in cataract and glaucoma surgery.
We pride ourselves on retaining our emphasis on patient care and kindness and have combined that by adding cutting edge state-of-the-art laser equipment for cataract, diabetes, and glaucoma treatments when needed. We do this with the goal of protecting and increasing your quality of life.
Our goal at Central Parkway Eye Care Center is to:
- Treat each patient and their families with respect, compassion and dignity
- Exceed the expectations of our patients and their families
- Deliver the highest quality of personalized care in a comfortable and efficient environment
- Utilize state-of-the-art technology
- Serve the community through a myriad of vehicles from Health Fairs to information sessions
To schedule an appointment or to obtain more information about the services we provide, please call us at 973-673-4620.